- Title: Supermoon entertains commuters in Lisbon
- Date: 14th November 2016
- Summary: LISBON, PORTUGAL (NOVEMBER 14, 2016) (REUTERS) MOON BEHIND LISBON'S 25 APRIL BRIDGE SUPERMOON SUPERMOON BEHIND BRIDGE SILHOUETTE OF A TRAIN ON THE BRIDGE/SUPERMOON BEHIND VEHICLES AND TRAIN ON BRIDGE/SUPERMOON BEHIND SUPERMOON VARIOUS OF SILHOUETTE OF TRAIN AND VEHICLES ON BRIDGE/SUPERMOON ON TOP
- Embargoed: 29th November 2016 20:16
- Keywords: Portugal Lisbon April 25th Bridge Supermoon
- Location: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- City: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- Country: Portugal
- Topics: Science,Space Exploration
- Reuters ID: LVA00158F4LDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The largest and brightest full moon in nearly seven decades illuminated the sky of Lisbon on Monday (November 14) to the delight of peak hour commuters on the city's 25 April Bridge.
Trains on the bridge looked like artistic moving silhouettes as the moon took position behind the giant construction in the Portuguese capital.
On Monday, the full moon came nearer to Earth than at any time since 1948, astronomers said.
At closest approach, which occurred at 6:23 a.m. EST on Monday, the moon passed within 216,486 miles (348,400 km.) of Earth's surface, about 22,000 miles (35,400 km.) closer than average, they added.
NASA said the moon will appear to 14 percent bigger, and 30 percent brighter, than usual to those lucky enough to catch sight of it.
The moon's distance from Earth varies because it is in an egg-shaped, not circular, orbit around the planet.
The next opportunity to see a full moon come as close to Earth will be in 2034.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None