- Title: UK: TENNIS: Sun shines on the opening day at the All England Club
- Date: 22nd June 2010
- Summary: CENTRE COURT SIGN, PAN TO FANS MOVING FANS QUEUING TO BUY STRAWBERRIES
- Embargoed: 7th July 2010 13:00
- Topics: Lifestyle,Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA7II1103DPZ8NNJ09AQG6GVL78
- Story Text: The All England Club opened its doors on Monday (June 21) for the start of 124th Wimbledon Championships.
Fans from all over the world queued up overnight to get a chance to see the stars play on the opening day. Advance tickets were sold out months ago.
Capacity is slightly reduced this year after record attendances of 511,000 in 2009 because the Club is rebuilding showcourt three.
Last year for every ticket on sale on any given day there were four people queuing, many overnight. for the best seats.
Defending men's champion Roger Federer will step out onto Centre Court at 1200GMT to face Colombia's Alejandro Falla with the prospect of a record-equalling seventh Wimbledon single's title on his mind.
Last year's beaten Wimbledon finalist, Andy Roddick, is second on No.1 Court against fellow American Rajeev Ram.
Following that match, five-times champion Venus Williams, playing in her 50th grand slam, takes on Paraguay's Rossana De Los Rios.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.