- Title: Leonard Cohen, rock music's poetic visionary, dies at age 82
- Date: 11th November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 19, 2009) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** VARIOUS OF COHEN PERFORMING AT BEACON THEATER RAMAT GAN, ISRAEL (FILE - SEPTEMBER 23, 2009) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COHEN REHEARSING AHEAD OF CONCERT COHEN SINGING, SEEN ON SCREEN ABOVE STAGE COHEN SINGING ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 26th November 2016 02:22
- Keywords: Leonard Cohen singer rock death dead 82 Canadian
- Location: BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS AND NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/RAMAT GAN, ISRAEL/SOMERSET, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM/MONTREAUX, SWITZERLAND/TORONTO, CANADA/OVIEDO, SPAIN
- City: BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS AND NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/RAMAT GAN, ISRAEL/SOMERSET, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM/MONTREAUX, SWITZERLAND/TORONTO, CANADA/OVIEDO, SPAIN
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA0015800HFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
Leonard Cohen, rock music's man of letters whose songs fused religious imagery with themes of redemption and sexual desire, earning him critical and popular acclaim, has died at the age of 82, said a statement on his Facebook page.
"It is with profound sorrow we report that legendary poet, songwriter and artist, Leonard Cohen has passed away," a statement on the Facebook page said. "We have lost one of music's most revered and prolific visionaries."
Cohen, a native of Quebec, was already a celebrated poet and novelist when he moved to New York in 1966 at age 31 to break into the music business.
Before long, critics were comparing him to Bob Dylan for the lyrical force of his songwriting.
Although he influenced many musicians and won many honors, including induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the Order of Canada, Cohen rarely made the pop music charts with his sometimes moody folk-rock.
But Cohen's most famous song, "Hallelujah," in which he invoked the biblical King David and drew parallels between physical love and a desire for spiritual connection, has been covered hundreds of times since he released it in 1984.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.