- Title: EAST TIMOR: East Timorese express concern over extention of state of emergency
- Date: 14th February 2008
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Tetum) DOMINGGOS, A UNIVERSITY STUDENT, SAYING: "I see from the security point of view after what happen to our President. I think the government decision is good to normalize the situation. As you know, we don't study at night, so we agree with the curfew. It will normalize the situation." EXTERIOR OF STATE UNIVERSITY
- Embargoed: 29th February 2008 12:00
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA12N3MVURAXVTOJS0UCR8R39J5
- Story Text: East Timorese express concern on security status after parliament decide to extend the state of emergency for another ten days.
East Timor's parliament approved an extension of the state of emergency until February 23 as Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao called for calm on Wednesday (February 13) following an assassination attempt on President Jose Ramos-Horta.
Ramos-Horta was critically wounded by gunfire from rebel soldiers who attacked his residence early on Monday (February 11), while Gusmao escaped unhurt in a separate attack on his motorcade.
Some analysts had said East Timor could suffer further violence and political chaos after rebel leader Alfredo Reinado died in the attack on Ramos-Horta.
Australia had sent troops to Dili this week to enforce a state of emergency and help with security.
Some people said they agreed with the government's decision of extending the state of emergency for ten more days.
"As a citizen of East Timor, I'm very please with what the government has decided, so that our business activities and school can run normally," said Abrao Soares, a local resident.
"I see from the security point of view after what happen to our President. I think the government decision is good to normalize the situation.
As you know, we don't study at night, so we agree with the curfew. It will normalize the situation," said Dominggos, a student at the Timor-Leste University in the capital, Dili.
Gusmao said the emergency status was not intended to hinder people's activities but to allow the normalisation of the situation. During the emergency, state meetings and protests were banned, and all citizens were instructed to stay at home from between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
East Timor's prosecutor-general said earlier on Wednesday that he would issue arrest warrants for 18 people believed to be involved in the assassination attempts on the president and prime minister.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None