- Title: BELGIUM: Russia has "no reason" not to resume gas supplies says EU presidency
- Date: 12th January 2009
- Summary: NEWSPAPER WITH TITLE ABOUT GAS DISPUTE
- Embargoed: 27th January 2009 12:00
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Energy
- Reuters ID: LVA4WAMGAMPY1AKFSIKHOSXYRRFH
- Story Text: New agreement means Russia should resume gas supplies immediately to Ukraine and European Union, says EU presidency.
The Czech Industry Minister said on Monday (January 12) Russia should resume gas supplies after Ukraine removed conditions it had added to a gas transit monitoring agreement.
Martin Riman said Ukraine had again signed terms of reference without declaration at the weekend.
"So now, Russia conditions are fully fulfilled and Russia has no reason not to restore the gas supplies immediately,'' he told reporters.
Riman made the comments after Russia rejected Ukrainian additions to a three-way deal to deploy monitors to check the flow of gas. The EU and Ukraine have said subsequently they would address the Russian concerns.
Russia gas export monopoly Gazprom confirmed Ukraine had signed a fresh copy of the gas transit monitoring agreement and removed earlier conditions.
A Russian delegation is on its way to Brussels for new talks on saving a deal to restore Russian gas supplies to Europe via Ukraine. EU energy ministers will meet later on Monday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.