- Title: INDONESIA: Java volcano remains no-go zone
- Date: 29th October 2010
- Summary: PARAMEDICS AND PATIENTS
- Embargoed: 13th November 2010 12:00
- Location: Indonesia
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Environment / Natural World
- Reuters ID: LVAMCZI9957P33T7S1KVDZIJYSN
- Story Text: Indonesia's restive Mount Merapi volcano remained a no-go zone on Thursday (October 28), two days after spewing clouds of ash and jets of searing gas that killed at least 28 people and injured 14.
Though the volcano was calmer than the previous day, authorities kept the area on the highest alert status and told residents to stay away.
The eruption left the area under a blanket of volcanic ash.
Many of the evacuees staying in 23 shelters in the area were suffering from breathing problems, eye and skin irritations, and dizziness.
"The dust gave them throat burn, influenza, respiratory problems and conjunctivitis. That is what we have found so far, most of them children," said paramedic, Miswaningrum, who goes by one name.
She said they were urging residents to wear protective masks.
"Respiratory problems seem to be increasing among the evacuees, we told them to wear masks because it could cause pharyngitis," said Miswaningrum.
Indonesia sits in the seismically active Pacific ''ring of fire,'' a series of fault lines stretching from the Western Hemisphere through Japan and Southeast Asia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.