- Title: France commemorates Armistice Day
- Date: 11th November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 11, 2016) (REUTERS FOR AGENCY POOL) CEREMONIAL TROOPS RIDING ON HORSES AND PLAYING MUSIC CONVOY CARRYING FRENCH PRESIDENT, FRANCOIS HOLLANDE, ARRIVING FOR COMMEMORATION
- Embargoed: 26th November 2016 12:16
- Keywords: Francois Hollande France Paris World War One WW1 Armistice Day commemoration war dead
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015801DTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Francois Hollande led commemorations as the nation marked Armistice Day on Friday (November 11) to remember those killed in war.
The event also marks the day fighting ended on the Western front of World War One on Nov. 11, 1918.
Hollande laid a wreath under the Arc de Triomphe during particularly solemn tributes in Paris which came almost a year after 130 people were killed when gunmen and suicide bombers attacked the city's Stade de France sports stadium, cafes and the Bataclan concert venue.
In a war fought largely on their home soil, about 8.4 million French soldiers served in WW1 and about 1.3 million were killed in battles that transformed familiar places such as Verdun and the Chemin des Dames.
France's last surviving veteran of World War One, Lazare Ponticelli, an Italian immigrant who fought in the trenches with the Foreign Legion, died at the age of 110 in 2008, 90 years after the end of the war in November 1918.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.