- Title: Europe must overcome its challenges, in light of Trump election - Hollande
- Date: 10th November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 10, 2016) (AGENCY POOL) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** FRENCH PRESIDENT, FRANCOIS HOLLANDE, AT ENTRANCE OF THE ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE DANISH PRIME MINISTER, LARS LOKKE RASMUSSEN, ARRIVING, GREETED BY HOLLANDE AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS RASMUSSEN AND HOLLANDE TALKING HOLLANDE AND RASMUSSEN ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, FRANCOIS HOLLANDE, SAYING: "The election of Donald Trump as the American president forces Europeans to be clear and lucid, and capable of overcoming the challenges they face. We will have to define with the new American administration the relationships between Europe and the United States. This is the shared mindset of all (European Union) member states." WHITE FLASH HOLLANDE AND RASMUSSEN SHAKING HANDS AND LEAVING
- Embargoed: 25th November 2016 12:51
- Keywords: Hollande Rasmussen France Denmark Donald Trump election U.S.
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00157V3MMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE PART AUDIO AS INCOMING IN SHOTS FOUR AND EIGHT AND THIS EDIT CONTAINS WHITE FLASHES IN SHOTS FIVE AND SEVEN
French President Francois Hollande called on Europe on Thursday (November 10) to overcome the challenges it faces in light of the triumphant U.S. election result of Donald Trump.
Trump, a wealthy New York real estate developer and former reality TV host, rode a wave of anger toward Washington insiders to win a shock victory at Tuesday's U.S. election.
"The election of Donald Trump as the American president forces Europeans to be clear and lucid, and capable of overcoming the challenges they face. We will have to define with the new American administration the relationships between Europe and the United States. This is the shared mindset of all (European Union) member states," Hollande said after meeting with Danish Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen at the Elysee Palace in Paris.
Hollande said the EU is an ally of the United States but that the EU is able to act independently of the nation, for its own interests and those of the world.
Throughout his presidential campaign, Trump vowed to revive the U.S. economy by cutting taxes, preventing companies from making products overseas, renegotiating trade accords and imposing tariffs on imports from countries like China.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None