- Title: Russian PM Medvedev meets Israeli counterpart Netanyahu
- Date: 10th November 2016
- Summary: JERUSALEM (NOVEMBER 10, 2016) (AGENCY POOL) RUSSIAN PRIME MINISTER DMITRY MEDVEDEV AND ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRIME MINISTER DMITRY MEDVEDEV SAYING: "In today's talks we, of course, gave special attention to economic issues. Israel is a major trade partner for us in the region." (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU SAYING: "We are partners in the battle against extreme Islam's terror. Israel and Russia and the United States and many other countries partner with the aim of demolishing ISIS (Islamic State). I think that cooperation among all those I mentioned who share this goal will benefit each and every one of us and will benefit humankind." NETANYAHU (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU SAYING: "We are determined to do two things: one is to prevent Iran from reaching nuclear weapon, and the second is to prevent Iran -- regardless of the situation in Syria, with or without a settlement -- from establishing itself militarily in Syria, on land, in the air or at sea." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRIME MINISTER DMITRY MEDVEDEV SAYING: "The Russian Federation is against nuclear weapons proliferation. Naturally through combined efforts - here our position is open to all states that are ready to co-operate and with all states that are interested - we have to destroy the nucleus of terrorism, which is now embodied in Daesh or ISIS." MEDVEDEV AND NETANYAHU SHAKING HANDS, WALKING AWAY FROM PODIUM
- Embargoed: 25th November 2016 14:09
- Keywords: Israel Russia Benjamin Netanyahu Dmitry Medvedev
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00157V1GEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated the need to stop nuclear weapons proliferation, during a joint news conference in Jerusalem on Thursday (November 10).
Netanyahu and Medvedev met in Jerusalem to mark 25 years of diplomatic ties between their countries.
Medvedev told the news conference they had discussed issues ranging from economic cooperation to nuclear proliferation and the international fight against Islamic State, noting that Israel was a major trade partner for Russia in the region.
"Israel and Russia and the United States and many other countries partner with the aim of demolishing ISIS," Netanyahu said.
"We are determined to do two things: one is to prevent Iran from reaching nuclear weapons and the second is to prevent Iran -- regardless of the situation in Syria, with or without a settlement -- from establishing itself militarily in Syria, on land, in the air or at sea," he added.
After meeting Israeli leaders on Thursday, Medvedev is scheduled to meet Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Jericho and visit Israel's Holocaust museum in Jerusalem on Friday (November 11).
In September, Russia proposed to host a meeting between Abbas and Netanyahu but it has not yet come to fruition.
Russian and Israeli leaders have met many times over the past two years in an effort to avoid military mishaps in Syria where Russia is involved in the fighting.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None