- Title: Merkel offers to work with Trump on basis of democratic values
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (NOVEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Ladies and gentlemen! I congratulate the winner of the presidential election in the United States, Donald Trump on his election victory. The U.S. is an old and honourable democracy. The election campaign this year was a particular one with some confrontations that were difficult to stomach. I, as many of you, watched the election results with trepidation. The person the American people choose to be their president in free and fair elections has an effect far beyond the United States. In the case of Germany: there is no country outside the European Union that we have deeper ties to than the United States." PAN FROM MEDIA TO MERKEL TALKING MEDIA MERKEL TALKING SEEN THOUGH MOBILE PHONE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Germany and America are bound together by values: democracy, freedom, respect of law and respect of people regardless of their origin, the colour of their skin, their religion, gender, sexual orientation or their political beliefs. On the basis of these values I I am offering to work closely with the future President of the United States, Donald Trump." MEDIA MERKEL TALKING PEOPLE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "The partnership with the U.S. is and will remain a cornerstone of German foreign policy, so that we are able to manage the big challenges of our time: our quest for economic and social well-being, our efforts towards forward looking climate policies, the fight against terrorism, poverty, hunger and illnesses. The efforts towards freedom and peace in Germany, in Europe and the world. Thank you." MERKEL LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 11:31
- Keywords: Merkel Trump U.S. elections Germany U.S.
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00157Q3EX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday (November 9) congratulated U.S. Republican Donald Trump on his election victory and offered to work closely with him on the basis of the values of democracy, freedom, respect for the law and for the dignity of people.
"Germany and America are bound together by values - democracy, freedom, respecting the rule of law, people's dignity regardless of their origin, the colour of their skin, their religion, gender, sexual orientation or their political views," Merkel said.
"On the basis of these values, I am offering to work closely with the future President of the United States Donald Trump," she added.
Merkel also stressed the importance of continuing good transatlantic relations as a tool to managing global crises.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None