- Title: France's Hollande congratulates Trump, warns of period of uncertainty
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) FRENCH INTERIOR MINISTER, BERNARD CAZENEUVE, AND FRENCH JUSTICE MINISTER, JEAN-JACQUES URVOAS, LEAVING ELYSEE FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER, JEAN-MARC AYRAULT, LEAVING ELYSEE FRENCH ENVIRONMENT MINISTER, SEGOLENE ROYAL, LEAVING ELYSEE EXTERIOR OF ELYSEE
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 11:27
- Keywords: Hollande France Donald Trump Hillary Clinton U.S. election result
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00357Q5D8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE THIS EDIT CONTAINS WHITE FLASHES
French President Francois Hollande on Wednesday (November 9) congratulated Donald Trump on his shock victory in the U.S. presidential election, but warned the result would open up a period of uncertainty.
"I congratulate him as is natural between two democratic heads of state. I am thinking of Hillary Clinton, with whom I worked during the Obama presidency. This American election opens a period of uncertainty. I have to face it with a clear-head and clarity," Hollande said.
France would be vigilant and frank in its talks with the new administration on international issues, he said, adding that Trump's victory showed that France needed to be stronger and that Europe needed to be united.
A presidential official said Hollande had spoken to German Chancellor Angela Merkel before making his declaration.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None