- Title: Tokyo's Nikkei share average closes down 5.36 pct over Trump shock
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (NOVEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE (TSE) BUILDING SIGN READING (English): "JPX TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE" ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD TSE STAFF WORKING TSE MARKET CENTER AND REVOLVING STOCK PRICE TICKER REVOLVING STOCK PRICE TICKER ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD SHOWING NIKKEI AVERAGE AT 16251.54 DOWN 919.84 TSE MARKET CENTER JPX GRAPHIC
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 06:41
- Keywords: Japan NIKKEI shares stock market close Trump shock
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets
- Reuters ID: LVA00157Q2CZP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japan's shares plunged more than 5 percent on Wednesday (November 9) in shock after Republican Donald Trump won in battleground states Florida, Ohio and North Carolina putting him in the lead to win the U.S. presidency.
Japan's benchmark Nikkei average closed down 5.36 percent at 16,251.54 on Wednesday, while the broader Topix shed 4.57 percent to 1,301.16.
Markets fear a Trump victory could trigger global economic and political turmoil, creating massive uncertainty for investors who had been counting on a win by Democrat Hillary Clinton, whose policies were seen as more staid but predictable.
Yen rallied with other traditional safe havens such as sovereign bonds and gold. The yen jumped against the dollar as Republican Donald Trump closed in on a surprise victory.
Japan's top currency official Masatsugu Asakawa said after a meeting with Bank of Japan officials that he would continue to watch currency moves closely as markets in London in New York were set to open.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None