- Title: Mood 'cautiously optimistic' as Clinton supporters arrive at NY rally
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) HILLARY CLINTON CAMPAIGN SIGN ON SCREEN OUTSIDE JACOB JAVITS CONVENTION CENTER
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 02:52
- Keywords: election presidential Hillary Clinton rally New York Jesse Jackson
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00157L7MTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hillary Clinton's supporters were cautiously optimistic Wednesday (November 8) evening as they gathered on New York's westside for her rally.
As election day progressed and the business hours ended, thousands began lining up outside the Jacob Javits Convention Center for Clinton's event -- less than a mile from her Republican opponents gathering in midtown Manhattan.
"Cautiously optimistic. Well, you have to be realistic, you know, this has been a crazy year -- against all odds we find ourselves in this position, so you have to be realistic about it," described Kjell Bergh of Minneapolis of the prevailing mood.
"I'm excited, cautiously optimistic. I'm very emotional. . . I'm concerned that half of our country's not supporting Hillary, but I'm also very proud to be part of the half that's moving forward," said Sam Leeds as she waited in line for a TSA security screening before entering the convention center.
Lines snaked their way outside the building cordoned off by the New York Police and Secret Service.
The Clinton campaign issued so many tickets that an overflow area was created outside with a stage and food trucks for supporters.
As the polls began to close, Clinton and Donald Trump were almost even as ballot counting began.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None