- Title: Libyan forces free more buildings from IS control in Sirte
- Date: 9th November 2016
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (NOVEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FORCES SITTING ON TANKS IN GHIZA BAHRIYA NEIGHBOURHOOD VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FORCES WALKING WITH WEAPONS IN STREET TANK MOVING IN STREET LIBYAN FORCES STANDING IN STREET AS TANK MOVES TANK MOVING LIBYAN FORCES STANDING IN STREET WITH WEAPONS LIBYAN FORCES ENTERING MOVING TANK TANK MOVING LIBYAN FORCES STANDING IN STREET HOLDING WEAPONS TANKS MOVING IN TOWARDS FRONTLINES VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FORCES ENTERING DAMAGED BUILDING LIBYAN FORCES TAKING COVER BEHIND WALL IN DAMAGED BUILDING TANK FIRING ON BUILDING BELIEVED TO BE HOLDING ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS TANK FIRING, SEEN THROUGH HOLE OF WALL OF DAMAGED BUILDING VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FORCES STANDING IN DAMAGED HOUSE FIRING WEAPONS VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FIGHTERS MOVING BETWEEN BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FIGHTER FIRING WEAPON VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FIGHTERS MOVING FROM ONE DAMAGED BUILDING TO ANOTHER LIBYAN FIGHTERS STANDING WITH WEAPONS INSIDE DAMAGED BUILDING / GUN SHOTS HEARD LIBYAN FIGHTERS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS LIBYAN FIGHTER FIRING WEAPON AIMED THROUGH HOLE IN WALL VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FIGHTER'S TARGET SEEN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL LIBYAN FIGHTERS FIRING WEAPONS VARIOUS OF TANK FIRING
- Embargoed: 24th November 2016 19:30
- Keywords: Libya Sirte Islamic State fighting ISIS
- Location: SIRTE, LIBYA
- City: SIRTE, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00157Q80UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Libyan forces freed more buildings on Wednesday (November 9) from Islamic State control in Sirte's Ghiza Bahriya neighbourhood in their decisive final push to oust the group from the area.
The campaign to rid Sirte of Islamic State began over five months ago and has seen ground troops, tanks, and armoured vehicles battle against the militant group.
Only a few snipers are said to be occupying the remaining area, which U.S. special envoy to the coalition against Islamic State, Brett McGurk, had said earlier this week is about the size of a 'soccer field'.
Fighters, who are from nearby Misrata, were seen strategically moving through demolished houses for better vantage points.
The slow advance on the militants has been due in large part for fear of civilian casualties still believed to be imprisoned by the group.
The fighting took place as Presidential candidate Donald Trump won the U.S. presidential elections.
While Trump has still not made an official statement regarding the war in Libya, European Parliament President Martin Schulz said on Wednesday that "From Syria to Iraq, from Ukraine to Libya, Trump's role in diplomacy and deal making will be tested from Day One."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None