- Title: Libyan forces in final phase to take Sirte from Islamic State
- Date: 8th November 2016
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (NOVEMBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FORCES' TANK MOVING ALONG STREET IN SIRTE'S GHIZA BAHRIYA DISTRICT TANK SEEN FROM INSIDE BUILDING PASSING ON STREET TANK SEEN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL OF DAMAGED BUILDING, FIRING LIBYAN FORCES FIGHTERS STAND NEAR TANK STREET IN GHIZA BAHRIYA SEEN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL WITH OVERTURNED CARS VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FIGHTERS INSIDE RUINED BUILDING LIBYAN FIGHTER AIMS HEAVY MACHINE-GUN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL FIGHTER LIFTS MACHINE-GUN BACK FROM HOLE VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FIGHTERS AIMING SNIPER'S RIFLES AND ASSAULT RIFLES THROUGH HOLES IN WALL FIGHTER, HOLDING HIS ASSAULT RIFLE BY THE BARREL VARIOUS OF FIGHTER, SEATED, AIMING A HEAVY MACHINE-GUN THROUGH HOLE IN WALL MACHINE-GUN'S BARREL WITH CARTRIDGE BELT, AIMED THROUGH HOLE IN WALL VARIOUS OF STREET SEEN THROUGH HOLE WHERE FIGHTER AIMS WEAPON FIGHTERS WITH SNIPER'S RIFLE AND HEAVY MACHINE-GUN IN ROOM VARIOUS OF FIGHTER AIMING SNIPER'S RIFLE WEAPON'S SCOPE VARIOUS OF STREET SEEN FROM FIGHTER'S POSITION
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2016 15:10
- Keywords: Libya Sirte Islamic State tanks snipers
- Location: SIRTE, LIBYA
- City: SIRTE, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA00157L5T8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Libyan forces were conducting operations against Islamic State in their holdout positions in Sirte's Ghiza Bahriya district on Tuesday (November 8), in the final phase of their offensive to seize the coastal city from the jihadists.
A tank shelled a suspected Islamic State position and their own snipers held positions overlooking the district, watching for movement from the enemy.
Warplanes, used to conduct strikes in the five-months campaign, flew low over the district but did not open fire.
Libyan forces have the remaining militants in Sirte surrounded in part of the Ghiza Bahriya neighbourhood.
U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, estimated on Monday (November 7) that only a few blocks of Ghiza Bahriya were controlled by a few dozen Islamic State fighters.
The United States' special envoy to the coalition against Islamic State, Brett McGurk, said on Monday the jihadist group has been "defeated" in Sirte, with remaining holdouts clinging to a small patch of land.
On Monday the United States also said it is prepared to carry out more air strikes against the militants if requested by Libya's U.N.-backed government.
Islamic State took full control of Sirte, a city of some 80,000 inhabitants, in early 2015. Its loss would leave the jihadist group without any territorial control in Libya.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None