- Title: Philippines' Duterte leads third year anniversary of Typhoon Haiyan devastation
- Date: 8th November 2016
- Summary: TACLOBAN CITY, PHILIPPINES (FILE - 2013) (REUTERS) PHILIPPINE FLAG FLYING IN FRONT OF DAMAGED AIRPORT UPTURNED TRUCK DAMAGED AIRPORT RESIDENTS WALKING ALONG SIGN READING (English): "WELCOME TO TACLOBAN" RESIDENTS WALKING ALONG DAMAGED STRUCTURES FALLEN POWER LINE ON DAMAGED JEEPNEY DESTROYED HOUSES LEYTE PROVINCE, PHILIPPINES (FILE - 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARGO SHIP LODGED INTO DAMAGED HOUSES
- Embargoed: 23rd November 2016 11:14
- Keywords: Typhoon Haiyan Rodrigo Duterte reconstruction anniversary ceremony
- Location: TACLOBAN CITY, LEYTE PROVINCE, PHILIPPINES
- City: TACLOBAN CITY, LEYTE PROVINCE, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA00557L2DZ9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte led a wreath-laying ceremony in Tacloban City on Tuesday (November 8) to mark the third anniversary of a devastating typhoon that killed thousands in the central Philippines.
Typhoon Haiyan barrelled through the central Philippines in 2013, killing more than 6,000 people and displacing four million.
Vice President Leni Robredo accompanied Duterte as they lit candles and prayed at a mass grave site in Tacloban City, ground zero of the devastation where more than 90 percent of the infrastructure was destroyed.
Duterte told residents during the ceremony that he was dissatisfied by the progress of rehabilitation and promised to speed up the reconstruction of houses for many still living in temporary shelters.
"The rehabilitation of the Yolanda (Haiyan) affected community should have been finished a year after (the devastation). You cut the red tape," he said.
A report in October on the National Housing Department website said it was targeting 200,000 houses for the affected residents, but so far only 30,000 had been built.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None