- Title: Thousands march in Moscow's Red Square historic parade
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: RED SQUARE VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS WEARING HISTORIC UNIFORMS MARCHING MEN RIDING HORSES VARIOUS OF VEHICLES DRIVING BY VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS AND CADETS MARCHING MILITARY HARDWARE, CADETS WALKING PAST MILITARY HARDWARE DRIVING MEN STANDING NEXT TO TANK TANKS
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 11:15
- Keywords: Russia parade history World War II military defence Red Square victory
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00257G1W07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Russian servicemen dressed in historical uniforms marched through Moscow's Red Square on Monday (November 7) to mark the 75th anniversary of the 1941 parade when Soviet soldiers headed to the front lines of World War Two.
Alongside tanks and waving flags, the soldiers wearing 1940s uniforms re-enacted the historic parade, watched by some World War Two veterans. Russia's TASS news agency said around 5,000 people were taking part in the march.
Russian World War Two veteran Ivan Bushmin, 89, came to Red Square to watch the march.
"I took part in parades many times. But this one is special. After this parade they went to the front line straight away," he said.
At that point in the war, the attacking German forces were only a few dozen kilometres to the west and the parade was part of the then Soviet Union's fierce and finally successful defence of the capital Moscow.
Pavel, 86, who watched the military marching through Moscow's centre, said such re-enactions remind younger generation of the war.
"Why it is held?" he said. "So that they would remember how our grandfathers, children and fathers were defending our Motherland from Nazi Germany which perfidiously attacked our Motherland."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.