- Title: Videogamers present master skills at eSports football tournament
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: MATCH SEEN ON THE SCREEN PLAYER REPRESENTING PARIS SAINT GERMAIN (PSG), AUGUST ROSENMEIER, PLAYING MATCH SEEN ON SCREEN
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 14:03
- Keywords: Poland eSports football videogame
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00257G3FB3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The eSports tournament Legia Modecom eSports Cup gathered Europe's top players of the football simulation computer game Fifa in Warsaw's Legia stadium on Saturday (November 5) and Sunday (November 6).
Organisers say this was the first international tournament with players designated by existing football clubs, such as Paris Saint Germain (PSG), AS Monaco or VFL Wolfsburg.
In the final match August Rosenmeier representing Paris Saint Germain beat Schalke 04 representative Tim Schwartmann to claim the title of European champion.
"Well, the level of this competition was incredibly hard. There is a reason that all these players is (are) signed by football clubs because they are the best in their countries. It was really hard all the way. Luckily I managed to win the first day and today I had two very hard games in the semi-final and also the final which was of course the hardest games in the entire tournament. But I had the margins and the luck and just a little bit skill more than him to win the match," Rosenmeier told Reuters.
Each player had their own tactics, which involved the selection of players in the game but also setting his team in different formations.
"I played my own game. I always like to play quick, attacking. I try not to concede as many, but I score more goals than I concede, that's my main job." said Sean Allen, who played for Westham United.
Benedikt Seltzer also plays football on a real-life pitch and he claims that the electronic version is at least equally challenging.
"You must concentrate the full 90 minutes, that's harder than in a normal football game," he said.
The competition was followed by live commentators and excitement could be felt beyond the virtual pitch.
Most players started playing the game as a pastime and with time advanced pros, leaving many others far behind.
Professional eSports commentator Chris Trout says the game is expanding thanks to a growing interest from fans and sponsors, such as Fifa maker Electronic Arts (EA).
"I mean there's already loads of pros who get involved in it, it's definitely growing. EA have put loads of money and time and support behind it especially with foot championship. So it's only going to get better and each year there's more and more tournaments and competitions popping up," he said.
Clubs which took part in the Legia Modecom eSports Cup 2016 are: Manchester City, Schalke 04 Gelsenkirchen, VfL Wolfsburg, Ajax Amsterdam, Valencia, Paris Saint-Germain, West Ham United, Sporting Club de Portugal, AS Monaco and Legia Warsaw.
1st place: August Rosenmeier representing Paris Saint Germain
2nd place: Tim Schwartmann representing Schalke 04 Gelsenkirchen
3rd place: Sean Alen representing West Ham United
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.