- Title: Nearly 700 migrants rescued at sea arrive in Italian port town
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: AUGUSTA, ITALY (NOVEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) VESSEL CARRYING MIGRANTS AT SEA APPROACHING PORT VESSEL APPROACHING PORT / RED CROSS PERSONNEL AND POLICE OFFICER LOOKING AHEAD VARIOUS OF RESCUE PERSONNEL AND MIGRANTS STANDING ON DECK VESSEL APPROACHING PORT ROPE BEING THROWN FROM VESSEL DECK ONTO TO DOCK CROWD OF MIGRANTS STANDING ON DECK MIGRANTS WALKING IN LINE, SOME WEARING THERMAL BLANKETS MIGRANTS SEATED ON DECK EMERGENCY PERSONNEL ASSISTING MAN WALKING OFF VESSEL PARKED AMBULANCE / RED CROSS PERSONNEL PUSHING MAN ON STRETCHER TOWARDS TENT / MIGRANTS WAITING IN LINE MIGRANTS WRAPPED IN THERMAL BLANKETS, SOME WEARING FACE MASKS MIGRANTS WAITING IN LINE
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 09:53
- Keywords: Italy migrants arrival Mediterranean rescue
- Location: AUGUSTA, ITALY
- City: AUGUSTA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00157G3AKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Almost 700 migrants were taken to the Italian port town of Augusta on Monday (November 7) after being rescued at sea by Italian and Spanish ships.
The migrants crowded on the deck of the vessel as it approached the port, where Red Cross personnel were waiting to assist them.
The migrants, whose nationalities were not available, gradually disembarked the ship, some wearing thermal blankets and face masks.
Emergency personnel assisted an injured migrant as he walked off the vessel and before being taken to a nearby Red Cross tent on a stretcher.
Over 3,000 migrants were rescued at sea between Saturday (November 5) and Sunday (November 6) as they tried to reach Europe, and ten bodies were recovered, Italy's coast guard said.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said last week that 4,220 migrants had died in the Mediterranean so far this year, compared with 3,777 in the whole of 2015.
As of November 2, 159,496 people had reached Italy by sea this year, the IOM said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None