- Title: Suspect arrested in alleged pushing death on NY subway
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE LEAD SUSPECT FROM SUBWAY PLATFORM UP STAIRS POLICE PUT SUSPECT IN VEHICLE AND DRIVE AWAY POLICE WALKING DOWN TO SUBWAY PLATFORM SUBWAY SIGNS POLICE WALKING UP FROM SUBWAY PLATFORM MORE SUBWAY SIGNS AND POLICE TAPE VARIOUS OF POLICE AND EMERGENCY VEHICLES OUTSIDE TIMES SQUARE SUBWAY ENTRANCE TIMES SQUARE SUBWAY ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 19:47
- Keywords: subway metro train death push
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA00157G6LWL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: New York police arrested a woman accused of pushing an unsuspecting commuter in front of a subway train as it arrived at a busy Times Square train platform on Monday (November 7th), killing the victim as bystanders watched in horror.
The victim was shoved onto the tracks of a southbound No. 1 train at about 1 p.m. EST (1800 GMT) and pronounced dead on the scene shortly afterward, a police spokeswoman said.
About three dozen police and other emergency officials responded to the incident at the subway station in midtown Manhattan at the intersection of Seventh Avenue and 42nd Street, one of New York's busiest transit stops.
The victim was standing on a train platform when the suspect, wearing a pink shirt and scarf, lunged at her, the New York Post reported, citing witnesses.
It was not immediately clear whether the suspect knew the victim, who police did not identify.
Last year, a woman was convicted and sentenced to 24 years imprisonment for fatally pushing a man into the path of an oncoming New York subway train in 2012.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None