- Title: Ronaldo signs Real Madrid contract until 2021
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: RONALDO AT THE ACT
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 15:01
- Keywords: Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid Contract
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00257G43SV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Portugal international Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a new deal with Real Madrid on Monday (November 7) that will keep him in the club until 2021.
Ronaldo said in a news conference at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium that he didn't expect this to be the last contract with Los Blancos.
"It's a unique moment in my life to renew another five years with these club. It's not my last contract, I want to make it clear here. Obviously it's a special moment, I never expected to make history in the best club in the world," Ronaldo said.
Joined by Real Madrid President, Florentino Perez, officials of the club, family and friends, Real's all-time top scorer with 371 goals in 360 games, said he was experiencing the best moment of his life, although he admitted he has had bad moments.
"I admit sometimes I can show a bit of anxiety, but it's not anxiety. A person who is used to scoring, when he doesn't, he can get a bit down, but it's ok, that's part of life. As any other person would, I admit I can go through good and bad moments, but at this time I'm going through the best time of my life," he said.
The 31-year old has collected one La Liga title, two King's Cups and two Champions League titles since joining Real from Manchester United in 2008 for a then world record 96 million euros.
Ronaldo said last year had been a dream come true.
"Winning the Champions League for Real Madrid, winning the European Cup for Portugal, renovating five more years for Real Madrid. What can I say? It's a dream year, a year that I never expected to have. It's such a beautiful and very special moment," the Portuguese striker said.
Asked about the 2016 Ballon D'Or, the Portuguese forward said he was not obsessed with the award and that individual awards were gained through collective efforts.
Ronaldo has failed to score in five successive games at the Bernabeu stadium but he has mustered seven goals in 12 appearances this season and he thanked Real president Florentino Perez for his unwavering support.
Ronaldo is reported to be in line for an increase in his current salary, estimated to be 21 million euros ($23 million), making him the highest-paid player at Real Madrid.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.