- Title: British PM May meets Indian counterpart in New Delhi for talks
- Date: 7th November 2016
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (NOVEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) BRITISH PRIME MINISTER THERESA MAY AND INDIAN PRIME MINISTER NARENDRA MODI WALKING/MAY AND MODI SHAKING HANDS/MAY AND MODI ENTERING BUILDING
- Embargoed: 22nd November 2016 07:46
- Keywords: Britain Theresa May Narendra Modi bilateral talks
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00157G2HC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British Prime Minister Theresa May met her Indian counterpart Narendra Modi on Monday (November 7) as the two leaders sat down for discussions in New Delhi.
May and the British International Trade Secretary, Liam Fox, landed in New Delhi late on Sunday (November 6) night, accompanied by business leaders from across the UK, marking her first visit to India since taking office in July.
The group is in India seeking to develop British business interests after the UK's decision to leave the European Union, the so-called "Brexit".
"Tied together by history, bound by the promise of the future. PM @narendramodi receives UK PM @theresa_may at Hyderabad House in Delhi," tweeted spokesperson of Indian foreign ministry, Vikas Swarup.
It is May's first state visit outside Europe since she assumed the office of prime minister, after a party leadership battle that revolved around the Brexit referendum.
While Britain cannot sign trade deals with third countries until it is outside the EU, the British government is keen to hold preparatory discussions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None