- Title: Iranian pilgrims killed in a suicide attack in Iraq's Samarra
- Date: 6th November 2016
- Summary: SAMARRA, IRAQ (NOVEMBER 6, 2016) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) RESIDENTS WALKING PAST DAMAGED BUSES VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUSES AND CARS MAN INSIDE A DAMAGED BUS THROWING ITEM OUT OF WINDOW MORE OF DAMAGED BUSES VARIOUS OF WRECKAGE BELIEVED TO BE THE AMBULANCE USED IN BOMBING SIGN ON GROUND READING (English): ''AMBULANCE'' PEOPLE STANDING AT THE BLAST SITE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED MEMBER OF SHIITE MILITIA TROOPS (POPULAR MOBILIZATION FORCES) KNOWN AS ''SARAYA AL-SALAM '' (PEACE BRIGADES) (NAME WITHHELD): ''A car suicide bombing took place in Samarra. The vehicle used in the explosion was an ambulance. The suicide attacker used an ambulance to mislead (those at) military checkpoints.'' DAMAGED BUS TWO MEN STANDING AND TALKING IN FRONT OF A DAMAGED BUS DAMAGED CARS AND BUSES PEOPLE WALKING PAST DAMAGED BUSES PEOPLE WALKING PAST DAMAGED VEHICLES PEOPLE WALKING IN CAR PARK WITH DAMAGED VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 21st November 2016 13:59
- Keywords: Iraq Samarra pilgrims Iran blast suicide attack holy city
- Location: SAMARRA, IRAQ
- City: SAMARRA, IRAQ
- Country: Iran
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00157B2VRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:PLEASE NOTE, THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
A suicide bomber driving an ambulance packed with explosives detonated a vehicle in Samarra, Iraq on Sunday (November 6), killing at least 8 people and wounding dozens, officials said.
The attacker detonated a vehicle in a car park for pilgrims visiting one of Shi'ite Islam's holiest shrines, al-Askari mosque in Samarra.
The bomb killed at least eight people, local officials said, including two Iranian pilgrims. The local operation command, a joint military and police unit, said the vehicle used in Samarra was also an ambulance.
Iranian news agency ISNA quoted an Iranian official as saying, that ten Iranian pilgrims were killed in the attack.
Pilgrimage official Mohammad Javad Daneshyar said the Iranians were getting off a bus when an ambulance carrying the suicide bomber approached them and blew up.
Islamic State's Amaq news agency said the attack was carried out by the militant group.
Amaq said two suicide bombers struck in Samarra, the first detonating a car bomb and the second activating an explosives vest among a group of people who survived the first blast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None