- Title: Iraqi troops battle for last town before Mosul
- Date: 6th November 2016
- Summary: HAMMAM AL-ALIL, SOUTH OF MOSUL, IRAQ (NOVEMBER 6, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FEDERAL POLICE FORCES ARMOURED VEHICLES IN A CONVOY / SOUND OF GUNFIRE MILITARY HELICOPTER FIRING STRIKES SMOKE AND DEBRIS / SOUND OF GUNFIRE FEDERAL POLICE FORCES WALKING THROUGH VILLAGE / ARMOURED VEHICLE / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE ARMOURED VEHICLE / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE SOLDIER AIMING WEAPON VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS MOVING THROUGH VILLAGE VARIOUS OF CIVILIANS AND CHILDREN LEAVING PAST FEDERAL POLICE FORCES SOLDIERS CARRYING AN ELDERLY WOMAN AWAY FROM CLASHES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COMMANDER WITH THE THIRD DIVISION OF THE ARMY, ALI HMOUD, SAYING: "We were evacuating an elderly woman, an elderly woman who was trapped in the enemy's sniper line of fire. I will not lie to you, the enemy's firing was random and unorganised as they escaped from their remaining posts in this village. This area is the last point in Hammam al-Alil." VARIOUS OF CIVILIANS IN THE VILLAGE SOLDIERS ON ARMOURED VEHICLE SMOKE RISING ABOVE STREET
- Embargoed: 21st November 2016 12:57
- Keywords: Hammm al-Alil Mosul Iraq Iraqi forces police fighting gunfire. Islamic State
- Location: HAMMAM AL-ALIL, SOUTH OF MOSUL. IRAQ
- City: HAMMAM AL-ALIL, SOUTH OF MOSUL. IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00157B2RT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iraqi security forces continued their operation to retake the rest of Hammam al-Alil, south of Mosul, on Sunday (November 6), a day after a major operation in the centre of the town.
Soldiers could be seen evacuating civilians from the village, and carrying an elderly woman away from the line of fire.
The town lies about 15 km. south of Mosul, which Iraqi forces are trying to retake from Islamic State.
On Saturday, security forces said they were in control of the centre of the town, though did not say whether militants had been pushed out completely.
The advance on the southern front comes days after Iraqi special forces fought their way into the eastern side of Mosul, taking control of six neighbourhoods according to Iraqi officials and restoring a foothold in the city for the first time since the army retreated two years ago.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None