- Title: Iraqi soldiers prepare to advance in battle for Mosul
- Date: 5th November 2016
- Summary: ALI RASH, SOUTHEAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ (NOVEMBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF IRAQI ARMY TANKS NEAR A SAND BERM VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS CHARGING SHELLS SOLDIERS SEATED NEXT TO SHELLS / TANK WITH IRAQI FLAG NEARBY PERSONNEL CARRIER DRIVING THROUGH THE AREA VARIOUS OF A SHOVEL PLACING SAND BETWEEN TANKS VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS CHARGING SHELLS VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS SEATED NEXT TO SHELLS / TANK WITH IRAQI FLAG NEARBY
- Embargoed: 20th November 2016 13:22
- Keywords: Mosul Iraq Islamic State operation Ali Rash Iraqi troops
- Location: ALI RASH, SOUTHEAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: ALI RASH, SOUTHEAST OF MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0015762VYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi troops advancing towards Mosul battled on Saturday (November 5) for the last town left between them and the Islamic State stronghold to the north, which is already under assault from special forces fighting inside the city's eastern districts.
The army and accompanying security forces aim to push the southern front up to Mosul to join troops and special forces that broke into the city's east this week, taking six districts and carving out a foothold in the militants' Iraq bastion.
A Reuters correspondent in the village of Ali Rash, about 7 km (4 miles) southeast of Mosul, saw smoke rising from eastern districts of the city on Saturday. Air strikes, artillery and gunfire could be heard.
Iraqi soldiers in Ali Rash were seen preparing the shells and munition for the forthcoming advance.
Recapturing Mosul would effectively crush the Iraqi half of a self-proclaimed caliphate declared by Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi from the pulpit of a Mosul mosque two years ago. His Islamist group also controls large parts of east Syria.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None