- Title: Massive crowds throng central Tokyo for Olympic parade
- Date: 7th October 2016
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (OCTOBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) JAPANESE GYMNASTICS GOLD MEDALIST KOHEI UCHIMURA HOLDING UP GOLD MEDAL AND WAVING TO CROWDS GOLD MEDAL BEING HELD AS CROWDS WAVE CROWDS LINING STREETS CROWDS SHOUTING AND USING SMARTPHONES TO RECORD PARADE UCHIMURA WAVING AT CROWDS DURING PARADE
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2016 06:01
- Keywords: Olympics Tokyo parade Kohei Uchimura Ai Fukuhara ginza nihonbashi Japan
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0025308W1X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Over 800,000 people crowded the streets of central Tokyo on Friday (October 7) as 88 gold, silver and bronze Olympic and Paralympic medallists paraded through the capital city.
Japanese media reported that some people waited overnight to secure spots to watch their favourite athletes drive by on the four open-top double decker buses, and two open-top trailers.
The parade drove 2.5 kilometers and took about an hour as street after street of the exclusive shopping districts of Ginza and Nihonbashi were packed with screaming fans and enthusiastic onlookers.
Japanese Olympians are bathing in the afterglow of the Rio Olympics 2016 after recording their biggest-ever Olympic medal haul with 41 medals, beating the 38 medals won in London four years earlier.
The parade was scheduled for October in order to wait for the Paralympian medallists to return home.
Japan is now gearing up to host its own summer Olympics, Tokyo 2020, in four years time.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None