- Title: Merkel appeals to Russia to end "atrocious" situation in Syria
- Date: 7th October 2016
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL ARRIVING AT EVENT
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2016 12:15
- Keywords: Merkel Syria Russia
- Location: MAGDEBURG, GERMANY
- Reuters ID: LVA002530APMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday (October 7) appealed to Russia to end what she called the "atrocious" violence in Aleppo, Syria, saying Moscow bears influence on the Syrian government.
Merkel said there was no basis in international law for the bombing of hospitals, and Moscow should help end the escalating violence in the war-torn country.
"This is atrocious what is happening there and we must do everything in order to achieve a ceasefire and especially care for the people in need and I can only appeal to Russia - Russia has a lot of influence on Assad - we must end this atrocious crime as soon as possible," Merkel said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.