- Title: Polls close in Georgian parliamentary poll
- Date: 8th October 2016
- Summary: TBILISI, GEORGIA (OCTOBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) MAN WALKING TOWARDS ELECTION COMMISSION TO REGISTER FOR VOTE ELECTION OFFICIALS VIEW OF POLLING STATION, MAN CASTING BALLOT CLOSE OF MAN CASTING BALLOT BALLOT FALLING INTO BALLOT BOX OBSERVERS LAST VOTER LEAVING, ELECTION OFFICIAL CLOSING DOOR EMPTY VOTING BOOTHS ELECTION OFFICIAL PUTTING BALLOT BOX ON DESK MEMBERS OF ELECTION COMMISSION ELECTION OFFICIAL TURNING OVER BALLOT BOX ELECTION OFFICIALS COUNTING BALLOTS BALLOTS ON TABLE
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2016 21:01
- Keywords: Georgia parliamentary election polls close vote count election commission
- Location: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- City: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- Country: Georgia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015356TL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Vote count began in a parliamentary election in ex-Soviet Georgia on Saturday (October 8).
Two exit polls showed that Georgian Dream, which is pro-Western but also favours closer Russia ties, won Saturday's election. One poll, from international market researcher Kantar Public, put it on 53.8 percent. Another, by international market researcher GfK, gave it 39.9 percent.
Both put the opposition United National Movement (UNM) in the second place.
Exit polls showed the pro-Russian Alliance of Patriots had also - just - cleared the five percent threshold needed to secure a place in the 150-seat parliament.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None