- Title: Saudi-led air strike kills dozens of mourners at funeral in Yemen
- Date: 8th October 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF OBSCURED DEAD BODY BEING PUT INTO BACK OF AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2016 18:49
- Keywords: Sanaa Yemen Houthi Saudi Arabia
- Location: SANAA, YEMEN
- City: SANAA, YEMEN
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0025359QO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE - THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Saudi-led coalition aircraft fired rockets at mourners at the funeral of the father of the interior minister in the Houthi-dominated Yemeni government on Saturday (October 8).
The attack killed at least 82 people and wounded hundreds, the acting health minister in the Houthi-led administration said.
Ghazi Ismail told a news conference in Sanaa the number of people wounded in the attack was 534.
Witnesses said a missile tore through a hall in the south of Sanaa where a wake for the father of Interior Minister al-Roweishan was being held, destroying the building.
Sources in the Saudi-led coalition said there was no Arab coalition air role in the strike.
Witnesses described ambulances ferrying casualties from the scene, where a plume of black smoke rose into the sky. A medic said there were mutilated and charred bodies, but gave no figures.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None