- Title: Libyan forces advance on Islamic State in Sirte
- Date: 8th October 2016
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (OCTOBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS RUNNING ACROSS STREET, TRYING TO AVOID ISLAMIC STATE SNIPER FIRE FIGHTERS HIDING BEHIND MOVING VEHICLE VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS WALKING FIGHTER WRITING ON WALL WRITING ON WALL, READING (Arabic): "WARNING, SNIPER" VARIOUS OF TANKS PASSING VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS RUNNING THROUGH STREET (AUDIO: CHANTING (Arabic) "God is greatest") SMOKE RISING FROM BUILDINGS DESTROYED BY AIR STRIKE FIGHTERS POINTING AT SMOKE VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS RUNNING UP STREET FIGHTERS LOOKING THROUGH HOLE IN WALL SMOKE RISING AFTER AIR STRIKE
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2016 16:36
- Keywords: Libya Sirte Islamic State
- Location: SIRTE, LIBYA
- City: SIRTE, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA0015359GEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed government advanced on Islamic State positions in Sirte on Saturday (October 8), taking two streets from the jihadist militants.
The fighting took place in the city's "Neighbourhood Three" district. Islamic State controls a residential strip less than a kilometre (0.6 miles) long in their former stronghold.
The pro-government forces have been engaged in a five month campaign in the city, advancing building by building, with support from U.S. airstrikes.
The fighters are led by brigades from the city of Misrata. They have been pressing further into Neighbourhood Three since Thursday (October 6), as intensified aerial bombardments and tank fire dislodged Islamic State sniper positions.
Misrata commanders have said Islamic State is clinging to a sub-district called Manara that, if ceded, would leave them exposed to defeat in what was once the group's main base outside their territory in Iraq and Syria.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None