- Title: Clashes continue between Libyan forces and Islamic State in Sirte
- Date: 7th October 2016
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (OCTOBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) FIGHTERS / TANK IN SIRTE TANK MOVING ALONG ROAD LIBYAN FIGHTERS STANDING VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS APPROACHING CONFLICT ZONE FIGHTERS ENTERING ONE OF THE HOUSES FIGHTERS ENTERING ONE OF THE HOUSES IN NEIGHBOURHOOD NUMBER THREE VARIOUS OF FIGHTER KNOCKING DOWN WALL TO MAKE A HOLE TO SHOOT FROM VARIOUS OF ARMED FIGHTERS VARIOUS OF TANK, ARMOURED VEHICLE TANK ENTERING ONE OF THE STREETS WHERE SNIPERS ARE CONCENTRATED VARIOUS OF TANK FIGHTERS FIGHTER SHOOTING FROM ONE OF THE BUILDINGS SNIPER FIRING SHOTS ON DIGGER FIXING ROAD TANK FIRING AT SNIPER LIBYAN FIGHTER FIRING SHOTS VARIOUS OF TANK FIRING SHOTS / SNIPER SHOOTING TANK IN STREET / FIGHTERS STANDING
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2016 16:48
- Keywords: Sirte Libya Islamic State security
- Location: SIRTE, LIBYA
- City: SIRTE, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001530CF9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Clashes continued on Friday (October 7) in Sirte's neighbourhood Number Three between pro-government forces and Islamic State militants that control a residential strip less than 1km long in their former Libyan stronghold.
UN-backed forces, supported by U.S. airstrikes, are advancing building by building to finish a five-month-old campaign.
Tanks pushed into neighbourhood Number Three exchanging with gunfire with militant snipers as fighters set up shooting points from buildings.
Over the past three days, Libyan forces led by brigades from Misrata have pressed further into Sirte's neighbourhood Number Three as an intensified aerial bombardment and a barrage of tank fire slowly dislodged militant sniper positions.
Militants were clinging to an area called Manara, a sub-district that if ceded, Misrata commanders said, would leave them exposed to defeat in what was once the group's main base outside territory controlled in Iraq and Syria.
Losing control of Sirte is a major blow for Islamic State, depriving it of the only city it held in North Africa. The jihadist group is also on the defensive against U.S.-backed campaigns in Iraq and Syria.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None