- Title: Ecuador's Correa meets China's FM Wang Yi
- Date: 4th October 2016
- Summary: QUITO, ECUADOR (OCTOBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF ECUADOREAN PRESIDENT, RAFAEL CORREA, SHAKING HANDS WITH CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER, WANG YI, AND CHINESE DELEGATION VARIOUS OF CORREA AND WANG SEATED IN DISCUSSION ALONG WITH OFFICIALS WANG WALKING DOWN STAIRCASE WITH ECUADOREAN FOREIGN MINISTER, GUILLAUME LONG
- Embargoed: 19th October 2016 03:26
- Keywords: Wang Yi Rafael Correa Asia-Pacific China
- Location: QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00152L8LL1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ecuadorean President, Rafael Correa, received the Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi, in Quito Monday (October 3) for a bilateral meeting.
The meeting marked the first such visit by a Chinese foreign minister to the Andean nation, Quito noted in a communique.
The aim of the meeting was to deepen the countries' bilateral relationship. Quito said it is seeking to send more exports to China.
Ecuador is currently the chair of the G77 group, which demands close links with China.
The countries' foreign ministers, Wang, and Guillaume Long for Ecuador, will meet on Tuesday (October 4).
Wang will also visit Colombia, Bolivia and Peru on his Latin swing.
In 2015, Beijing pledged $250 billion in investment in Latin America over the next 10 years as part of a drive to boost resource-hungry China's influence in the region.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None