- Title: IOC president Bach visits Paris in 2024 Olympic bid
- Date: 1st October 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 1, 2016) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) PRESIDENT, THOMAS BACH, LISTENING TO CO-PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH NATIONAL OLYMPIC AND SPORTS COMMITTEE, TONY ESTANGUET VOLLEYBALL PLAYER, VICTORIA RAVVA, PLAYING TABLE TENNIS WITH PARALYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST, ARNAUD ASSOUMANI BACH SPEAKING TO PARIS 2024 SPORTS DIRECTOR AND TWO-TIME OLYMPIC MEDALLIST, JEAN-PHILIPPE GATIEN BACH PLAYING DOUBLES WITH RAVVA AGAINST ASSOUMANI AND GATIEN ESTANGUET GIVING SPEECH WITH ATHLETES ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 16th October 2016 19:22
- Keywords: Olympics Paris France Thomas Bach IOC 2024 sports athletes summer bid Tony Estanguet
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE & UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: PARIS, FRANCE & UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: France
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0015269AO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach received a tour of the French National Institute of Sport and Physical Education (INSEP) on Saturday (October 1) on a visit to meet the Paris 2024 Olympic Games organising committee.
Accompanied by Olympic and Paralympic athletes, Bach indulged in a game of table tennis with Paris 2024 Sports Director and two-time Olympic medallist, Jean-Philippe Gatien (table tennis), paralympic gold medallist, Arnaud Assoumani (athletics), and volleyball player, Victoria Ravva.
Beside Paris, the other remaining candidates are Budapest and Los Angeles, with the winner being elected in Lima on September 13, 2017.
The bid is spearheaded by French former athletes including triple Olympic champion canoeist, Tony Estanguet. Bach said he was charmed by the unity of Paris' athletes.
"What is impressive is to see you united behind Paris' 2024 bid and this makes this candidature a truly strong one: this unity and this determination, this dedication from the athletes," he said.
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo has promised that new sports facilities and housing developments in Paris's outer ring would leave a lasting legacy, and that the games proposal tapped into the desire for more sober, ecological propositions from the IOC.
Several events would take place at prestigious venues such as the Stade de France (athletics), Roland Garros (tennis) and the Bercy Arena (basketball).
Temporary structures would be situated in historic locations, with equestrian events being held at the Palace of Versailles and beach volleyball at the foot of the Eiffel Tower.
Earlier this month, Rome mayor Virginia Raggi, who was elected in June, announced her opposition to Italy's bid to host the Games in the capital, killing off the campaign.
Estanguet said the outcome of next year's French presidential election will have no bearing on the Paris bid for the 2024 Olympic Summer Games.
Paris last hosted the Games in 1924 having lost out to Barcelona (1992), Beijing (2008) and London (2012).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None