- Title: Devastation in Aleppo after days of air strikes
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: ALEPPO, SYRIA (SEPTEMBER 28, 2016) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) PEOPLE WALKING ACROSS DESERTED STREET WOMEN AND CHILDREN WALKING THROUGH RUBBLE-STREWN STREET MAN WALKING THROUGH DEVASTATED AREA PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH DEVASTATED AREA / MOSQUE IN BACKGROUND DESTROYED BUILDINGS VARIOUS OF COMPLETELY DESTROYED STREET VARIOUS OF HOLE IN WALL OF BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF ALEPPO, ABO OMAR, SAYING: "For days, since the so-called truce the criminal regime has targeted all areas in Aleppo and all the residential areas, especially the areas that are densely populated in the markets and public spaces, the gathering places of vehicles, hospitals and schools and targets the human life in the besieged Aleppo by all kinds of weapons including the heavy-shock bombs." VARIOUS OF APARTMENT ON FIRE IN AL-ANSARI NEIGHBOURHOOD OF ALEPPO AS A RESULT OF AIR STRIKES VARIOUS OF FIREMEN AND MEMBERS OF THE CIVIL DEFENCE TRYING TO PUT THE FIRE OUT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MEMBER OF CIVIL DEFENCE, ISMAIL ABDALLAH, SAYING: "The Russian attack on the city of Aleppo is ongoing as tens of raids target Aleppo city daily. Here he implemented cluster (cluster bomb) on al Ansari neighbourhood resulted in burning two buildings completely. As you can see we are unable due to the lack of equipment, we have not fire-fighting vehicle." SCHOOL BUILDING THAT WAS FIRE DAMAGED IN AN AIR STRIKE SIGN ON FIRE DAMAGED SCHOOL, READING (Arabic): "AL-RABEEA AL-ARABI SCHOOL FOR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN" TWO MEN RUNNING FOR COVER AS THEY HEAR SOUND OF A MILITARY PLANE (AUDIO OF PLANE) DAMAGED BUILDING IN AL-MASHAD NEIGHBOURHOOD AS AN AIR STRIKE HAPPENS NEARBY / SMOKE IN THE SKY (PART MUTE) VARIOUS OF BOY SELLING VEGETABLES ON STREET PEOPLE WALKING IN STREET VARIOUS OF CLOTHES SHOP
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 11:31
- Keywords: Syria Aleppo air strikes Russian offensive opposition rebel-held
- Location: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- City: ALEPPO, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00151RC6RR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of rebel-held parts of Aleppo say a Russian-backed air campaign against their city is targeting schools, marketplaces and hospitals.
Footage obtained by Reuters, and filmed on Wednesday (September 28), showed burning buildings and a scene of devastation in several neighbourhoods of the city.
The Syrian Civil Defence said they lacked enough resources to be able to deal with so many fires and emergencies.
Syrian government forces and rebels fought battles in the centre of Aleppo and north of the city on Friday (September 30), a week into the Russian-backed offensive by the Syrian army to take the entire area, a war monitor and sources on both sides said.
There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of Friday's fighting.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and a Syrian military source said government forces had captured territory north of the city and buildings in the city centre.
Rebel sources however denied any additional advances north of the city by government forces that seized the Handarat camp area north of Aleppo on Thursday.
The Syrian military and its allies launched an offensive one week ago aimed at capturing rebel-held districts of eastern Aleppo that are home to more than 250,000 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None