- Title: Israel's President Rivlin hosts world leaders after Peres' funeral
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF RIVLIN AND HOLLANDE DURING MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT FRANCOIS HOLLANDE SAYING: (TRANSLATION BASED ON SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATION) "You have just underlined, Mr President, and we will be discussing it, France's initiative, because it's our role, because it's our duty, because it's our place. We are friends of Israel and there's no need to prove that. Our shared history bears witness to it. At the same time, we are able to speak to the Palestinians, they trust us, and we want to put this exceptional relationship with Israel and this relationship of trust with the Palestinians at the service of the shared cause." PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PICTURE CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER, JUSTIN TRUDEAU, SHAKING HANDS WITH RIVLIN ISRAELI AND CANADIAN FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (English) CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER, JUSTIN TRUDEAU, SAYING: "Unfortunate that my first visit as prime minister be on a sad occasion but it is also an occasion to reflect on the extraordinary life of Shimon Peres and therefore the life of the State of Israel." REPORTER TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (English) CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER, JUSTIN TRUDEAU, SAYING: "When I was last in Israel, I had the opportunity to sit down with him (Peres). He was president still at the time. And he regaled me with stories of my own father because he had known my father from the time he was prime minister." EMBLEM OF THE STATE OF ISRAEL RIVLIN SHAKING HANDS WITH BRITAIN'S PRINCE CHARLES PRINCE CHARLES AND RIVLIN DURING MEETING UK FLAG AND ISRAELI FLAG RIVLIN ESCORTING PRINCE CHARLES OUTSIDE
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 15:24
- Keywords: Israel Jerusalem Peres funeral Prince Charles Francois Hollande Justin Trudeau
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00351RA8G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Israeli president met world leaders in Jerusalem on Friday (September 30) after the funeral of statesman Shimon Peres.
President Reuven Rivlin played host to Britain's Prince Charles, French President Francois Hollande and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, all of whom had earlier attended the burial ceremony of the Israeli statesman and Nobel laureate.
Hollande said the pair would be discussing a French initiative aimed at resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
France hosted a conference earlier this year with the aim of breaking the apathy over an impasse between the two sides and stir new diplomatic momentum.
Peres, a former president and prime minister who died on Wednesday at the age of 93, shared a Nobel Prize for the interim land-for-peace accords he helped reach with the Palestinians as Israel's foreign minister in the 1990s.
Long-hailed abroad and by supporters in Israel as a visionary, Peres was seen by his critics as an overly optimistic dreamer in the harsh realities of the Middle East.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None