- Title: China's leaders hold banquet to celebrate National Day
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: OFFICIALS TAKING SEATS
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 12:41
- Keywords: China leaders banquet National Day
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00351RD5J9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Top Chinese leaders attended a reception marking the 67th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China on Friday (September 30).
China's leadership elite, including President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang, attended the event at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
Since May, when Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen and her Democratic Progressive Party, which traditionally favours independence from the mainland, took power in Taiwan, and China has suspended official communication channels.
During Li's speech on Friday, he said China would continue to stick to the "one China" principle, which Tsai refused to endorse.
"We will further stick to the 'one China' policy, stick to the '1992 consensus', resolutely oppose Taiwan's independence and safeguard and promote peaceful development of cross-strait ties. We will continue to conduct an independent foreign policy of peace, firmly maintain the core national interests, and work with other countries to build a community of common destiny for all mankind and community of interests," Li said.
The "1992 consensus" refers to Beijing's cherished "one China" principle that includes Taiwan as part of China.
China will celebrate its National Day on Saturday (October 1), followed by a seven-day holiday known as Golden Week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.