- Title: Hong Kong marks National Day with flag raising
- Date: 1st October 2016
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** LEUNG GIVING WELCOMING SPEECH PRO-DEMOCRACY LEGISLATORS STAGING PROTEST CARRYING SIGNS READING: "STEP DOWN" EXECUTIVES TOASTING ON STAGE
- Embargoed: 16th October 2016 05:36
- Keywords: National Day flag China ceremony
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0065268SHX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong marked the 67th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China with a flag raising ceremony on Saturday (October 1).
Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying hosted the event in pouring rain. The cocktail reception was marred by a protest by pro-democracy legislators demanding him to step down.
Leung hopes to maintain his position of Hong Kong's Chief Executive in next year's vote.
The election is highly contentious, with candidates handpicked by Beijing and votes cast by a 1,200 strong collegiate representing less than one percent of the population.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None