- Title: Ecuador ruling party chooses Correa ally as presidential candidate
- Date: 1st October 2016
- Summary: QUITO, ECUADOR (OCTOBER 1, 2016) (REUTERS) ECUADORIAN PRESIDENT, RAFAEL CORREA, ARRIVING TO POLITICAL RALLY CORREA ADDRESSING RALLY
- Embargoed: 16th October 2016 23:26
- Keywords: Ecuador Quito Rafael Correa Lenin Moreno election Doris Soliz PAIS Alliance
- Location: QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001526AX4Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ecuador's ruling party tapped a former vice president and ally of leftist President Rafael Correa as its candidate for president on Saturday (October 1) in an election to be held in February.
Lenin Moreno, 63, was Correa's vice president from 2007 to 2013 and is currently a United Nations special envoy on disability and accessibility.
Moreno will campaign with current Vice President Jorge Glas as his running mate.
"The citizen revolution needs to continue. The citizen revolution will continue. And we believe the best Ecuadorian to guide the next stage of this political process is this amazing human being Lenin Moreno Garces," said Correa during a political rally.
Correa's term ends in May 2017 after a decade of popular governance that has given the oil-rich country a socialist tinge.
Moreno, who is paralysed and uses a wheelchair, pledged to continue Correa's policies and said he would work hard for the values and rights of vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities and the elderly.
"Everything in life has conditions. And my condition is that we continue to walk together until the end," Moreno said at the same event.
Moreno will likely compete against several opposition candidates, as the bloc is divided and weak.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.