- Title: Hundreds demonstrate in Berlin against Aleppo air strikes
- Date: 1st October 2016
- Summary: DEMONSTRATOR HOLDING UP PICTURE OF CHILD AMID RUINS
- Embargoed: 16th October 2016 17:18
- Keywords: Syria Aleppo air strikes demonstration Berlin
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA002526ADDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people gathered in Berlin on Saturday (October 1) to protest against a Syrian government offensive in Aleppo.
Russian war planes struck rebel-held areas north of Aleppo on Saturday as the army shelled the besieged old quarter in a major assault, rebels and a monitoring group said.
The latest strikes come 10 days into the Russian-backed operation to capture eastern Aleppo and crush the last urban stronghold of a revolt against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad that began in 2011.
Protesters in Berlin said they wanted the U.N. and the German government to support the Syrian people who were fighting against the Assad government.
The eastern, rebel-held part of Aleppo remains under siege, with around 250,000 civilians trapped there.
Hundreds of people, including dozens of children, have been reported killed since the onslaught began on September 22.
In a tense confrontation at the United Nations last weekend, the United States called Russia's bombing in support of Assad "barbarism", and said Russia was killing civilians, medical staff and aid workers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.