- Title: NTSB sends team to investigate New Jersey train crash
- Date: 29th September 2016
- Summary: HOBOKEN, NEW JERSEY, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 29, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE GATHERING OUTSIDE TRAIN STATION POLICE VEHICLES PARKED OUTSIDE STATION FIRE TRUCK PARKED OUTSIDE STATION
- Embargoed: 14th October 2016 18:27
- Keywords: Hoboken New Jersey Transit train crash NTSB
- Location: HOBOKEN, NEW JERSEY / ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- City: HOBOKEN, NEW JERSEY / ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA00151MF4UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The National Transportation Safety Board said on Thursday (September 29) it will send a team to investigate a train crash at Hoboken station in New Jersey that occurred during the morning rush hour.
Bella Dinh-Zahr, vice chairman of the safety board, said investigators would look at whether the absence of automatic braking might have played a role.
"PTC (Positive Train Control) has been one of our priorities. We know that it can prevent accidents. Whether it is involved in this accident is definitely one of the things we will look at carefully," she said.
In May 2011, a Port Authority of New York and New Jersey train crashed at the same Hoboken station, injuring more than 30 people when it plowed into a bumping post at the end of the track. An investigation by the NTSB determined excessive speed was the main cause of the accident.
A National Transportation Safety Board official said the agency will be looking at similarities between that accident and Thursday's crash, which killed at least one person and injured dozens.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None