- Title: Germany's Merkel says Brexit is warning shot to rest of EU
- Date: 30th September 2016
- Summary: MERKEL AT MEETING VARIOUS OF STRING QUARTET PLAYING MERKEL LISTENING
- Embargoed: 15th October 2016 21:42
- Keywords: Merkel Brexit EU
- Location: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- City: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00251RFGHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's decision to leave the European Union is a warning to the rest of the bloc, which must learn to take decisions faster rather than looking to agree new treaties, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Friday (September 30).
"This is a warning shot to all of us to reconsider once again: What does Europe mean for us? What must Europe change to be successful in the eyes of the people," Merkel said in a speech to her Christian Democrats in North Rhine-Westphalia.
She added that Europe must decide on what it needs to concentrate and where it can play less of a role, as well as learn to make decisions more quickly.
"Many decisions must be taken quicker rather than agree new treaties," she said.
French presidential candidate Nicolas Sarkozy has said he could reverse Brexit if elected next year by negotiating a new EU treaty more acceptable to Britain. France and Germany have distanced themselves from the suggestion.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.