- Title: Venezuelan defence minister says hearings against Maduro promote interventionism
- Date: 25th October 2016
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (FILE) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF PRESIDENT NICOLAS MADURO DURING RALLY
- Embargoed: 9th November 2016 17:14
- Keywords: Venezuela National Assembly Nicolas Maduro Vladimir Padrino Lopez
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00455I8I87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Venezuela's Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez said on Tuesday (October 25) that the opposition was aiming to destabilize the country and went on to suggest that they were also promoting the 'incursion of a foreign power' into Venezuela.
"This systematic conduct isn't anything more than an undercover and perverse mechanism to promote interventionism including the possible incursion of a foreign power into our national territory," Lopez said while the National Assembly voted to begin a political trail against President Nicolas Maduro for 'violating democracy'.
"It's true purpose is for nothing else but to affect the institutionalism in a serious manner by using chaos and anarchy to ultimately overthrow the legitimate government of (President) Nicolas Maduro who, as far we are concerned, is not just a politician but rather the Constitutional President and Commander in Chief of the Bolivarian Armed Forces," Lopez added.
Later on Tuesday, the opposition-led National Assembly voted to open a political trial against Maduro for breaking constitutional order in the South American country.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.