- Title: Colombia, rebels say incorporating new proposals into peace deal
- Date: 28th October 2016
- Summary: HAVANA, CUBA (OCTOBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MEMBERS OF REVOLUTIONARY ARMED FORCES OF COLOMBIA (FARC) READING STATEMENT HANDSHAKE BETWEEN FARC DELEGATION LEADER, IVAN MARQUEZ, AND COLOMBIA GOVERNMENT NEGOTIATOR, HUMBERTO DE LA CALLE VARIOUS OF FARC AND COLOMBIA DELEGATIONS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) COLOMBIAN GOVERNMENT NEGOTIATOR, HUMBERTO DE LA CALLE, SAYING: "The proposals are being discussed carefully and many are being incorporated into the texts of a new accord." VARIOUS OF MARQUEZ READING STATEMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FARC REBEL NEGOTIATOR, IVAN MARQUEZ, SAYING: "Both delegations acknowledge the positive news that for the first time in our recent history, peace is an essential nucleus of our citizenry leaving behind the past of war." VARIOUS OF DELEGATIONS READING COMMUNIQUE
- Embargoed: 12th November 2016 17:55
- Keywords: FARC Juan Manuel Santos Humberto de la Calle Ivan Marquez
- Location: HAVANA, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155X70OZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Colombia's government and FARC rebels are incorporating new suggestions into the peace deal that was rejected in a plebiscite earlier this month in a bid to swiftly salvage the accord, both sides said on Friday (October 28).
The government and rebels are back at the negotiating table in Havana where they have been holding talks for four years on ending a 52-year old conflict that has killed more than 220,000 people.
"The proposals are being discussed carefully and many are being incorporated into the texts of a new accord," government negotiator, Humberto de la Calle said at a news conference in Havana.
Colombian voters rejected the original deal by a razor-thin margin of less than half a percentage point, with opponents saying it was too lenient on the Marxist rebels.
Led by hardline former President Alvaro Uribe, the "No" side was outraged the accord offered the FARC ten congressional seats and did not foresee jailing the rebels' leaders.
Although the FARC leadership has said it is willing to hear new ideas, Uribe's proposals may be difficult to accept, given they have repeatedly refused to consider jail time and want to form a political party.
On Friday, the FARC and government delegations said they would pick up talks next Thursday Nov. 3, "with the aim of reaching quickly and efficiently a new definitive agreement".
"Both delegations acknowledge the positive news that for the first time in our recent history, peace is an essential nucleus of our citizenry leaving behind the past of war," said rebel negotiator, Ivan Marquez.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, who has staked his legacy on ending the war with the FARC and earlier this month won the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts, said in a statement on Friday time was of the essence.
"The ceasefire we agreed is fragile," he said. "We need a new agreement right away.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None