- Title: Bulldozers demolish "Jungle" camp in Calais
- Date: 27th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BULLDOZER REMOVING SHELTERS IN CALAIS "JUNGLE" CAMP / POLICE WATCHING POLICEMEN WALKING INTO THE "JUNGLE" CAMP ABANDONED "JUNGLE" SHELTERS POLICEMAN WALKING PAST PORTABLE TOILET UNITS AND BURNT SHELTER STRUCTURE / BULLDOZER WORKING IN BACKGROUND BULLDOZER REMOVING SHELTER CHAIR IN FOREGROUND / DEMOLITION ONGOING IN BACKGROUND BEHIND BUSHES ABANDONED SHELTERS, DEBRIS FROM BURNT SHELTERS TORN BLANKET HANGING ON STRUCTURE LEFT FROM BURNT SHELTER BURNT SHELTER, ABANDONED SHELTERS AND CARAVANS VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CARAVAN POLICEMEN WALKING PAST ABANDONED SHELTERS GUARDED BY POLICE VARIOUS OF GROUP OF AFGHAN MIGRANTS WHO SAY THEY ARE MINORS WITH RELATIVES IN BRITAIN POSING IN THE "JUNGLE" BURNT SHELTER STRUCTURES, DEBRIS AND ABANDONED SHELTERS VARIOUS OF MINOR MIGRANT POSING FOR SHOT IN SHACK / MIGRANT CYCLING PAST MAKESHIFT BEDS MADE OF SLEEPING BAGS AND BLANKET USED AS OVERNIGHT OUTDOORS SHELTER BY MINORS MIGRANTS AND SOCIAL WORKER SITTING OUTSIDE MINOR'S "JUNGLE" CONTAINERS MIGRANT STANDING NEXT TO SHACK WITH FRENCH FLAG FLYING ABOVE ABANDONED SHELTERS AND BICYCLE ABANDONED CLOTHES HANGING FROM FENCE / SHELTERS BEHIND MINORS PLAYING WITHIN SHELTER AREA / ROWS OF WHITE SHELTER CONTAINERS MIGRANT MINORS PLAYING CRICKET MIGRANT MINORS PLAYING FOOTBALL MIGRANT BOY BY CONTAINER SHELTER INSIDE "JUNGLE" MINORS AREA
- Embargoed: 11th November 2016 16:35
- Keywords: Calais Jungle migrants refugee camp
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155S86RR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Bulldozers cleared mounds of debris and tore down makeshift shelters at the "Jungle" migrant camp on Thursday (October 27).
French authorities said 6,000 people had been evacuated from the site.
Charities said however hundreds of migrants might have fled the camp rather than take part in a government programme to rehouse them across the country.
The Jungle, a ramshackle, overcrowded camp, came to symbolise Europe's difficulty in dealing with record inflows of migrants from impoverished and war-torn regions of Africa, the Middle East and Asia, many of them intent on crossing the sea from Calais to Britain.
Riot police stood guard over the demolition, while children and underage migrants, who find themselves still in an administrative limbo waiting for passage to Britain, played cricket, football or simply hung around in the minor's area, an enclosure within the camp with rows of white shelter containers.
Police also patrolled other parts of the Calais area, where dozens of migrants were wandering.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None