- Title: Barred Hong Kong lawmakers defiant on region's self-determination
- Date: 26th October 2016
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ***WARNING CONTAINS PROFANITY*** BOAT LEAVING WATERSIDE IN FRONT OF HONG KONG SKYLINE VARIOUS OF CHINA AND HONG KONG FLAGS FLYING OUTSIDE GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS RALLY OUTSIDE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL IN SUPPORT OF BANNED MEMBERS PRO-INDEPENDENCE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MEMBER BAGGIO LEUNG SPEAKING TO REPORTER PEOPLE WATCHING SPEECHES (SOUNDBITE) (English) LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MEMBER, BAGGIO LEUNG, SAYING: (AUDIO AS INCOMING) "But I think for a true democracy council, we have been elected to say what we think, so we won't change our mind to satisfy this injustice and unfair judgement. And they are trying to break the whole separation of power but we will try our best to prevent this.'' PEOPLE STANDING IN RALLY POSTER OF LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL PRESIDENT, ANDREW LEUNG YELLOW UMBRELLA BEING HELD BY PROTESTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRO-INDEPENDENCE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MEMBER, YAU WAI-CHING, SAYING: (AUDIO AS INCOMING) "It is obviously a step backwards. It is all Hong Kong people who don't want to see the consequences nowadays. But we can't give up. We have to continue our road. We have to continue our career we have to continue our struggle. And so we can't give up the Hong Kongers." VARIOUS OF JOURNALISTS WATCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) UNIDENTIFIED MAINLAND PRO-INDEPENDENCE ACTIVIST, SAYING: (AUDIO AS INCOMING) "They don't even let these two kids off. What kind of government is this? CY's (Chief Executive Leung Chung Ying) government is full of shit!'' PEOPLE STANDING IN RALLY LIGHTS SHINING FROM HONG KONG FINANCIAL CENTRE
- Embargoed: 10th November 2016 13:45
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protest Legislative Council banned pro-independence Baggio Leung Yau Wai-Ching
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155N7QDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY IN MANDARIN IN SHOT 12
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Two pro-independence lawmakers who were barred from entering Hong Kong's Legislative Council chamber on Wednesday (October 26) remained defiant in their promotion of Hong Kong's self-determination.
Yau Wai-ching, 25, and Baggio Leung, 30, were banned from attending council meetings, following weeks of pressure from factions loyal to Beijing.
"I think for a true democrat council, we have been elected to say what we think. So we won't change our mind to satisfy this injustice and unfair judgement. And they are trying to break the whole separation of power but we will try our best to prevent this,'' Leung said at an evening rally outside the government headquarters.
In chaotic scenes earlier in the day, democrats formed a human chain around them, forcing the session to be adjourned.
The pair, who represent a new breed of more radical activists moving into the political mainstream, had their swearing-in oaths invalidated this month over language and a banner that was deemed derogatory to China.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None