- Title: Rescued migrants sing and dance on journey to Italy and safety
- Date: 27th October 2016
- Summary: AT SEA (OCTOBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS ONBOARD THE RESPONDER RESCUE VESSEL SINGING AND DANCING
- Embargoed: 11th November 2016 15:38
- Keywords: Migrant refugee rescue ship Italy Libya
- Location: AT SEA
- City: AT SEA
- Country: At Sea
- Reuters ID: LVA00155S8BIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Search and rescue vessel The Responder approached mainland Italy on Thursday (October 27), prompting dozens of the migrants onboard to sing and dance in thanks to the Red Cross for saving them.
The ship was carrying migrants from eight countries who had attempted to cross the Mediterranean into Europe.
Libya is the main departure point for mostly African migrants seeking to cross the Mediterranean to Europe. Smugglers arrange ill-equipped and overcrowded vessels that frequently break down or sink.
On Tuesday (October 25), aid group Doctors Without Borders found 25 dead migrants submerged in water and fuel at the bottom of another rubber boat off Libya.
The rate of recorded deaths in the Mediterranean has risen sharply this year, with more than 3,740 migrants drowning on their way to Europe. That nearly matches the toll for the whole of 2015.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None