- Title: Calais migrants board buses as "Jungle" clearance continues
- Date: 25th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 25, 2016) (REUTERS) MIGRANTS QUEUING OUTSIDE HANGAR TO BE REGISTERED VOLUNTEER ASKING MIGRANTS TO SIT DOWN TO CALM TENSIONS AS POLICE STAND BY VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS SITTING IN STREET VARIOUS OF MIGRANT WAITING VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE HOLDING BACK LINE OF MIGRANTS VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS QUEUING IN HANGAR FRENCH OFFICIAL SHOWING MIGRANTS MAP OF FRANCE SO THEY CAN PICK REGION MAP OF FRANCE SHOWING REGIONS OFFICIAL EXPLAINING MAP MIGRANTS WALKING INTO TENT TO RECEIVE BRACELET VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS PUTTING BRACELETS ON MIGRANTS VARIOUS OF TENT MIGRANTS QUEUING OUTSIDE TENT MIGRANT TAKEN ILL BEING CARRIED ON STRETCHER MIGRANT'S HAND WITH BRACELET VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS BEING REGISTERED MIGRANTS WALKING PAST TENT TENTS SUITCASE / LINE OF MIGRANTS WAITING TO BOARD BUS MIGRANTS HAVING BRACELETS CHECKED BEFORE BOARDING BUS VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS LOADING LUGGAGE ONTO BUS MIGRANTS BOARDING BUS HANGAR BUS, PARAMEDICS POLICEMEN OPENING GATES BUS LEAVING POLICE BUS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 9th November 2016 08:36
- Keywords: Calais France migrants refugees camp Jungle evacuation
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155I65ON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Migrants of the Calais camp known as the "Jungle" boarded buses to welcome centres on Tuesday (October 25) as clearance of the filthy shanty-town continued.
Hundreds of migrants once again queued before dawn outside a vast hangar waiting to be registered and sent to one of the 450 "welcome centres" across France.
Volunteers helped to keep the crowd calm as people stood closely by.
More than 2,300 dwellers - more than a third of the total - left the camp outside the northern port by bus on Monday, with French officials celebrating the peaceful start of the operation after sporadic weekend skirmishes.
Migrants who made it past the queue chose the region of their welcome centre on a map presented to them by an official before receiving a colour coded bracelet and boarding a bus to their destination.
An interior ministry spokesman said that the demolition operation would start by hand later on Tuesday and that the bulldozers would not roll in immediately in an effort to minimise tensions.
Nestled in the sand dunes, the Jungle is a symbol of Europe's failed migration policies as member states bicker over who should take in asylum-seekers and economic migrants. Many have fled countries like Afghanistan, Syria as well as Eritrea and Sudan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None