- Title: Minor scuffles occur in registration queue as Calais "Jungle" clearance continues
- Date: 25th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 25, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS IN QUEUE PUSHING EACH OTHER AS POLICE FORM BARRIER VARIOUS OF VOLUNTEER CALMING CROWD, TELLING THEM TO SIT DOWN VOLUNTEER WITH MEGAPHONE TELLING MIGRANTS TO REMAIN CALM MIGRANT LISTENING MIGRANTS SEATED ON GROUND POLICE STANDING BY MIGRANTS WAITING RIOT POLICE STANDING BY VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS WAITING IN FIELD BUS LEAVING, MIGRANT WAIVING GOODBYE THROUGH BACK WINDOW
- Embargoed: 9th November 2016 10:01
- Keywords: Calais France migrants refugees tensions queue camp Jungle
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155I6M9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Minor scuffles took place outside the processing centre in Calais on Tuesday (October 25) where hundreds of migrants waited to be registered for resettlement elsewhere in France as the clearance of the camp known as the "Jungle" continued.
Aid workers appealed for calm asking migrants to sit down as the police formed a barrier.
More than 2,300 camp dwellers - more than a third of the total - left the filthy shanty-town outside the northern port by bus on Monday, with French officials celebrating the peaceful start of the operation after sporadic weekend skirmishes.
For many of the migrants fleeing war and poverty, the closure of the "Jungle" marks the end of a dream to reach Britain, which lies a tantalisingly short sea crossing away, where most had sought to reunite with family or find work.
An interior ministry spokesman said that the demolition operation would start by hand and that the bulldozers would not roll in immediately in an effort to minimise tensions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None