- Title: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte arrives in Japan
- Date: 25th October 2016
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (OCTOBER 25, 2016) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** PLANES ON TARMAC AT VIP SECTION OF HANEDA AIRPORT AIRPORT EMPLOYEE WAITING FOR PLANE ARRIVAL PLANE ARRIVING PLANE WITH SIGN READING (English): "PHILIPPINES" MORE OF PLANE PHILIPPINES PRESIDENT, RODRIGO DUTERTE, WALKING OUT OF AIRPLANE DUTERTE SHAKING HANDS WITH JAPANESE DELEGATION DUTERTE BEING WELCOMED BY JAPANESE DELEGATION DUTERTE GETTING INTO AUTOMOBILE DUTERTE IN CAR CARS LEAVING NATIONAL FLAGS OF JAPAN AND PHILIPPINES
- Embargoed: 9th November 2016 09:56
- Keywords: Philippines Japan President Rogrido Duterte Haneda airport
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155I5D8L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte arrived in Japan on Tuesday (October 25) evening - a trip that comes after his recent jolting remarks about Philippine's pivot away from Washington and toward China.
During his three-day official visit in Japan, Duterte is expected to discuss about security issues regarding with maritime disputes over the South China Sea and economic partnership with Japan.
Aiming to push for the rule of law in the South China Seas, Japan has sought to strengthen ties with the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries as a counter-balance to Beijing.
Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida will meet Duterte on Tuesday for a low-key dinner, and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will hold rare one-on-one talks with Duterte at his residence in Tokyo the next evening following a larger, more formal meeting with senior officials.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None