- Title: Calais migrants in tense stand-off with police at processing centre
- Date: 25th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 25, 2016) (REUTERS) MIGRANTS IN CROWD FACING POLICE / AUDIO OF AID WORKER APPEALING TO MIGRANTS TO STOP PUSHING POLICE OFFICERS CARRYING MIGRANT WHO FAINTED / LAYING THEM ON GROUND AS AID WORKERS ATTEND TO THEM POLICE PUSHING AGAINST MIGRANTS TO CONTAIN THEM AS AID WORKER APPEALS TO MIGRANTS NOT TO KEEP PUSHING FORWARD MIGRANTS PUSHING FORWARD AGAINST THE POLICE LINE / AID WORKER APPEALING TO MIGRANTS NOT TO PANIC PARAMEDICS ATTENDING TO FAINTED MIGRANT MIGRANTS PUSHING AGAINST POLICE LINE / AID WORKERS, THEN POLICE, APPEALING TO MIGRANTS TO SIT DOWN VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS SITTING DOWN / POLICE WATCHING
- Embargoed: 9th November 2016 07:31
- Keywords: France Calais migrants Jungle processing stand-off
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA00155I5PVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Aid workers appealed for calm during a tense stand-off between migrants and police at a centre in Calais on Tuesday (October 25) where hundreds of migrants were being processed for resettlement elsewhere in France.
More than 2,300 camp residents - more than a third of the total - left the shanty-town "Jungle" camp outside the northern port by bus on Monday (October 25), with French officials celebrating the peaceful start of the operation after sporadic weekend skirmishes.
Nestled in the sand dunes, the Jungle is a symbol of Europe's failed migration policies as member states bicker over who should take in asylum-seekers and economic migrants.
The camp grew up as migrants flocked there in an attempt to cross to Britain.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None